Before the Civil War, Real Madrid sympathized with the left, with the anti-fascist forces. To break with previous symbolism and from the monarchy, it removed the crown of the shield and put a purple diagonal stripe in honour of the tricolor. On 14 April 1931, it changed its name and became known as Madrid Football Club.
With the advent of the Franco dictatorship to Spain in 1939, the crown was restored in the shield and the name of Real on the computer but a small detail was forgotten. The purple diagonal stripe crossing the shield was not suppressed and continued until today. In 2011, to celebrate 75 years of resistance in Madrid to Franco, a group of fans aimed to create the first Republican rock called ‘The purple band’ on 7 November.